Sunday, January 24, 2010

This post brought to you by Google vs. Microsoft

The 2010's will be a very interesting decade in the battle for supremacy in the digital age.  Microsoft has surely been King for a while, but Google is hot on their heals.  If I had to guess, I would be on Google to win the war. 

After spending the last few weeks navigating the Google universe by setting up a website on Google Sites, with comments supported by Google Documents, and a blog by Blogger, I spent the weekend in Microsoft world. 
I spent Saturday backing up my computer and preparing for an upgrade from Vista (yuck) to Windows 7 (meh).  Then, since Microsoft decided not to make Money anymore, I spent most of Sunday switching all of my personal finance stuff to Quicken.  I also have a phone that runs Windows mobile, but I've been thinking about getting a phone that runs Android because it has better apps.  I'm also trying out Chrome to see if it works better than Internet Explorer. 
I think by 2020, Microsoft will be a much smaller company, a shadow of its former self.  Google seems to have a much more long term and ambitious approach to their business.  They will be the Oprah of the decade.

No comments: